Honey Harvard Beets
This rich, sweet dish was served on my first visit to my new in-laws 40 years ago. It's a colorful family favorite compatible with other fresh garden vegetables such as cabbage and green beans.
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) sliced beets
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Drain beets, reserving 1/2 cup juice; set beets aside. In a large
- saucepan, combine cornstarch and reserved juice until smooth. Stir
- in the vinegar, honey and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened. Stir in the butter and beets; heat
- through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 185 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 413 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.