Honey-Glazed Hens with Fruit Stuffing Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups cubed day-old bread
- 1/2 cup dried fruit bits
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- CORNISH HENS:
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and celery; cook and stir until tender. Stir in the bread, fruit bits, water and allspice; cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- 2. Loosely stuff hens with stuffing. Tuck wings under hens; tie drumsticks together. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Combine butter and honey; drizzle over hens.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if hens brown too quickly. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Honey-Glazed Hens with Fruit Stuffing
"Was the hit of Thanksgiving. We replaced the fruit bits with craisins to avoid some allergies."
"Excellent recipe. I basted the hens with apricot fruit roll melted in chicken broth and Sauvignon Blanc. Try it."
"In our efforts of a desiring a more healthier eating lifestyle, My wife and I bought the magazine taste of home, and was browsing. We found this recipe and wanted to try something different and light, we had never tried hens before, so although both nervous at first we decided lets go for it. And OH MY GOD, we were quite pleased. My family of 4 kids included all LOVED it!!! The taste impeccable, with the honey and the friut stuffing combined, awesome... we ate the entire hen, and are trying it again for family and friends on Thanksgiving. Thanks Taste of HomesSteven L. Smith"