“My husband really likes Cornish hens, so I searched for a recipe I could use during the holidays that dressed them up. My family loves the fruit stuffing. —Denise Albers, Freeburg, Illinois
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups cubed day-old bread
- 1/2 cup dried fruit bits
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- CORNISH HENS:
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and celery; cook and stir until tender. Stir in the bread, fruit bits, water and allspice; cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Loosely stuff hens with stuffing. Tuck wings under hens; tie drumsticks together. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Combine butter and honey; drizzle over hens.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if hens brown too quickly. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Honey-Glazed Hens with Fruit Stuffing in Taste of Home October/November 2010, p111
Reviews for Honey-Glazed Hens with Fruit Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review