Honey Cloverleaf Rolls Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (prepared with milk)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Stir in honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, buttermilk, butter, thyme and salt. Add the egg, whole wheat flour and 1 cup of all-purpose flour; beat on medium speed to form a soft dough. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to from a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into three portions; divide each into 18 pieces. Shape each into a ball; place three balls each in greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- 4. For the glaze, combine egg and milk; brush over rolls. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
One roll (prepared with butter) equals 125 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 188 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.