Honey-Citrus Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 slices Monterey Jack or Muenster cheese, optional
- 6 kaiser rolls, split
- 6 thin tomato slices
- 6 red onion slices
- Shredded lettuce
- 1. Flatten chicken breast evenly to 1/4-in. thickness; set aside. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the orange and lemon juices, honey, oil, mustard, poultry seasoning and cayenne pepper. Add chicken breasts; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Drain; discard marinade. Grill, uncovered, over medium-low heat, turning occasionally, for 10-12 minutes or until juices run clear. If desired, top each chicken breast with a slice of cheese and grill 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese begins to melt. Serve on rolls with tomato, onion and lettuce. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 388 calories, 8g fat (0g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 602mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 34g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit
Reviews for Honey-Citrus Chicken Sandwiches
"These were very tender, moist chicken breasts, but I didn't detect ANY of the marinade ingredient flavors upon eating. Perhaps it was because I only had time to marinate for just over 6 hours. I would try it again when I could marinate overnight."
"I agree with the other reviewers on this. I made as specified. turned out ok, not bad. We have better marinades than this one. At times, I thought the poultry season was a tad too strong."
"This wasn't bad, it just didn't suit my family's tastes. We've had many other marinated chicken recipes we've liked far more."
"I totally agree with Idaiello!"
"great just as is! I never change anything the first time around. otherwise how can you honestly rate a recipe?? Some of the comments look like whole new recipes. Why don't folks just submit the changes they made as a new recipe ??"
"I halved the recipe and made one half of the recipe as written and I modified the other half. I found the poultry seasoning over powered the delicate flavor of the chicken citrus flavors and muddled the flavor of the entire dish. In the other half I used a teaspoon of spicy brown,grainy mustard and eliminated the poultry seasoning, I also added 1/4 cup of white wine. The marinade turned out very well, the flavors went well together, the citrus flavor was more defined. Making the sandwiches more flavorful. My family and I did a taste test and the modified recipe was everyone's favorite. Thanks for the inspiration!"
"It was so delicious,moist.Used pepper jack cheese during the last two minutes of grilling!!!"
"Very good flavor...I used the larger amount of cayenne pepper and it didn't seem spicy at all. The red onion we used was very strong, over-powering the chicken some. It was only marinated for 7 hours and I would like to try it overnight."