During the summer months, our three children keep me plenty busy. So it's a welcome relief when my husband volunteers to cook out. These chicken sandwiches are his specialty! —Claire Batherson, Westchester, Illinois
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 slices Monterey Jack or Muenster cheese, optional
- 6 kaiser rolls, split
- 6 thin tomato slices
- 6 red onion slices
- Shredded lettuce
- Flatten chicken breast evenly to 1/4-in. thickness; set aside. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the orange and lemon juices, honey, oil, mustard, poultry seasoning and cayenne pepper. Add chicken breasts; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Drain; discard marinade. Grill, uncovered, over medium-low heat, turning occasionally, for 10-12 minutes or until juices run clear. If desired, top each chicken breast with a slice of cheese and grill 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese begins to melt. Serve on rolls with tomato, onion and lettuce. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Honey-Citrus Chicken Sandwiches in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p92
Reviews for Honey-Citrus Chicken Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review