Honey Cheese Bars Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Additional honey, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Press onto the bottom of an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2. For filling, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, honey, milk, lemon juice and vanilla until blended. Add egg; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour over crust. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until set. Cool completely on a wire rack. Drizzle with additional honey if desired. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 bars.
1 bar (calculated without additional honey) equals 152 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 88 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch.