I love whipping up a batch of homemade honey-sweetened caramels for my family and friends. Sometimes I replace the walnuts with pecans, filberts or almonds.
64 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Line a 8-in. square pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 teaspoon
- butter and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the cream, honey, sugar and
- remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until a candy
- thermometer reads 238°.
- Using a pastry brush dipped in cold water, wash down the sides of the
- pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook, stirring constantly, until a
- candy thermometer reads 255° (hard-ball stage). Stir in walnuts
- and vanilla; return mixture to 255°.
- Remove from the heat. Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape
- saucepan). Let stand until firm, about 5 hours or overnight.
- Using foil, lift candy out of pan; discard foil. Cut candy into 1-in.
- squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends. Yield: about
- 1-1/2 pounds.