Honey-Brined Turkey Breast Recipe
- 2 quarts apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 large oven roasting bags
- 1 bone-in turkey breast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1. In a Dutch oven, bring the first five ingredients to a boil. Cook and stir until salt and honey are dissolved. Stir in rosemary. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 2. Place a large oven roasting bag inside a second roasting bag; add turkey breast. Carefully pour brine into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible; seal bags and turn to coat. Place in a roasting pan. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- 3. Line the bottom of a large shallow roasting pan with foil. Drain turkey and discard brine; place on a rack in prepared pan. Pat dry.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30 minutes. Brush with oil. Bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.) Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 8 servings.
6 ounces cooked turkey equals 208 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 131 mg sodium, trace carbohydrate, trace fiber, 43 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 6 lean meat.