Honey Beet Bread Recipe
If you have any leftover from dinner, you'll find this savory bread makes great sandwiches, too.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 cups grated uncooked fresh beets, squeezed dry
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Toasted sesame seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the beets, milk, butter, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape into two loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 4. Brush with egg white; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until top begins to brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 108 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 203 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC