- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 cups grated uncooked fresh beets, squeezed dry
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Toasted sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the beets, milk, butter, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape into two loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Brush with egg white; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until top begins to brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Honey Beet Bread
Sort By :
"Couldn't taste the beets. A great way to get in extra vegetables,"
"Fabulous recipe. The dough turns dark pink, but the baked bread comes out looking like the picture."
"It was difficult to find fresh beets, but once I did, I made several loaves & put in freezer.The one we ate was fantastic."