- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (1 to 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the eggs, banana, applesauce and honey; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the raisins.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill two-thirds full with batter. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 14 muffins.
Reviews for Honey Banana Muffins
"I wanted something healthy to give to my students on the 100th day of school. I didn't put in nuts or raisins. I also think it needed some more spices and perhaps more bananas. Only put in 3/4 tsp. Nutmeg. Should have put the whole tsp. I made donut shaped muffins and they came out very spongy and I liked them."
"These are great. I add more banana than called for and used walnuts instead of raisins. I think additional spices, like cinnamon and allspice, make them more flavorful. When I don't have applesauce, I use 1/3 cup coconut oil instead. I've made this recipe lots of times and they always turn out great."
"I'v made about 4 different types of your healthy muffins and they are fantastic! I added some almond butter to mine. Thanks for the healthy recipes! I initially went to this site because these recipes don't use refined sugar. Life can be good with out the refined stuff :)"
"Moist and baked up beautifully. I doubled the recipe and substituted chopped walnuts for half of the raisins. Next time I will use sweetened applesauce and regular raisins, though. Just to bump up the sweetness."
"These are not very sweet, and I did have to bake almost twice as long as it says or i found it too spongey. But for a healthy muffin its ok, and surprisingly my kids loved them."