Honey Bagels Recipe
Who has time to make from-scratch bagels? You do with this easy recipe from our Test Kitchen staff. The chewy golden bagels offer a hint of honey and are sure to impress the pickiest of palates.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup honey, divided
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 4 to 5 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil, sugar, 3 tablespoons honey, brown sugar, salt and egg; mix well. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until a smooth firm dough forms, about 8-10 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Shape into 12 balls. Push thumb through centers to form a 1-1/2-in. hole. Stretch and shape dough to form an even ring. Place on a floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes; flatten bagels slightly.
- 4. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring 8 cups water and remaining honey to a boil. Drop bagels, one at a time, into boiling water. Cook bagels for 45 seconds; turn and cook 45 seconds longer. Remove bagels with a slotted spoon; drain and sprinkle with onion, sesame and poppy seeds.
- 5. Place bagels 2 in. apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes. Turn and bake 5 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 bagel equals 243 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 398 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Honey Bagels
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC