Honey & Spice Snack Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- OPTIONAL GANACHE:
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Whisk the applesauce, eggs, oil and honey. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- 2. Pour into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. For optional ganache, place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a microwave, heat cream for 20-30 seconds or just until bubbly. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool slightly; drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece (calculated without ganache) equals 180 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 173 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.