The sweetness of honey, the bold flavors of nutmeg and cloves and the crunch of walnuts make for happy snacking. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- OPTIONAL GANACHE:
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Whisk the applesauce, eggs, oil and honey. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- Pour into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For optional ganache, place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a microwave, heat cream for 20-30 seconds or just until bubbly. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool slightly; drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Honey & Spice Snack Cake in Taste of Home December/January 2012, p77
Reviews for Honey & Spice Snack Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review