Honey & Spice Roasted Almonds
Seasoned nut mixes can be expensive to buy. So I buy unblanched almonds to toast and season at home. The sweet honey and spicy cayenne pepper come together beautifully.—Patty Getzin, Wenatchee, Washington
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups unblanched almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Arrange almonds in a single layer in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x
- 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or
- until golden brown, stirring once.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar, salt and cayenne; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add roasted almonds
- and honey; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining
- sugar; cook 1 minute longer or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from
- the heat; add reserved sugar mixture and toss to coat.
- Immediately spread onto waxed paper; cool completely. Break into
- pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/3 cup equals 317 calories, 21 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 404 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein.