- 4 cups sliced yellow summer squash
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) white hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) yellow hominy, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, toss squash with egg. Place the cornmeal in a large resealable plastic bag. Add squash slices, a few at a time, and shake to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add half of the squash. Cook over medium heat until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining squash and 1/4 cup butter; set aside and keep warm.
- In another skillet, saute the onion and peppers in remaining butter until tender. Add the hominy, salt and pepper; cook and stir until heated through and golden brown. Stir in the reserved squash. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Hominy Squash Skillet in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p124
Reviews for Hominy Squash Skillet(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review