Hominy Sausage Soup
“I developed this subtle soup as a starter for a Southwest-style lunch. I serve it with cheese nachos and follow up with chicken or beef taco salad,” says Jessie Gunn Stephens of Sherman, Texas.
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/4 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup canned hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Crumble sausage into a small skillet. Cook over medium heat for 3-4
- minutes or until no longer pink; drain. In a small saucepan, toast
- cumin seeds over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Add
- coriander and cayenne; cook and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, hominy, jalapeno, pepper and sausage. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes to allow flavors
- to blend. Stir in cilantro. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/4 cups equals 276 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 1,768 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 15 g protein.