Hominy Sausage Bake Recipe
My cousin Lewis whipped up this spicy corn dish for a family gathering one year. It's nice and hearty, and it has plenty of Cajun flavor running through it. —Frances Bowman Lilesville, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) red beans and rice mix
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (29 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (12 ounces) pickled jalapeno peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup corn chips, crushed
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown sausage in oil; drain and set aside. In the same pan, brown ham cubes. Stir in the red beans and rice mix, water, butter and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until beans and rice are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Layer with hominy and sausage; top with peppers and corn.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with corn chips. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC