Hominy Pork Soup Recipe
Tender pork and hominy make this chili-like soup from Raquel Walkup different from the usual offerings. "For a satisfying supper, I serve it with sliced green, shredded cheese, lime wedges and warm flour tortillas," relates the San Pedro, California cook.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours YIELD:7 servings
- 1 pound pork chop suey meat
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chili without beans
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) hominy, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Warmed flour tortillas, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, sliced green onions and lime wedges, optional
- 1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the pork, chili, hominy, tomato sauce, onion and seasonings.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with tortillas and toppings if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC