Hominy Meatball Stew
This stew is tasty served with crackers as well as corn bread, and it freezes well. For a less spicy version, substitute plain canned tomatoes for the Mexican blend.
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Mexican diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, cornmeal, onion, salt and pepper.
- Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 3/4-in. balls.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown meatballs in oil in
- batches. Drain.
- In a Dutch oven, combine the hominy, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water
- and taco seasoning. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add
- meatballs. Cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until meat is no
- longer pink. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).