This stew is tasty served with crackers as well as corn bread, and it freezes well. For a less spicy version, substitute plain canned tomatoes for the Mexican blend.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Mexican diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, cornmeal, onion, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 3/4-in. balls.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown meatballs in oil in batches. Drain.
- In a Dutch oven, combine the hominy, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and taco seasoning. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add meatballs. Cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Hominy Meatball Stew in Country October/November 2007, p51
Reviews for Hominy Meatball Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review