Hominy Beef Bake
"I received this recipe from a friend more than 20 years ago and have been using it ever since," notes Jean Stokes. Corn chips create a tasty topping on a nicely spiced mixture of ground beef, hominy and chili. "Even my meat-and-potatoes husband likes it!" assures the Sacramento, California cook.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) hominy, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) corn chips, crushed
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in
- the hominy, chili, tomato sauce, water, chili powder, salt and
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with corn
- chips. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated
- through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 462 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 1,217 mg sodium, 63 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 25 g protein.