Homey Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 5 cups (20 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat. Stir in 3 cups cheese and Worcestershire sauce until cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni; stir into sauce. Transfer to a greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Top with remaining cheese; sprinkle with paprika. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Homey Mac & Cheese
Sort By :
This is basically the same recipe that I have also used for years. I make my cheese sauce in the microwave, using 16 oz. of a sharp cheddar bar cheese cut up, and a 2 inch chunk of Velveeta to make a smoother sauce. I think the worcestershire sauce adds 'pop' to the sauce, making it not so bland. To make it even richer tasting, I will use half and half or whipping cream for part of the milk. Totally yum!!
I agree with others to make this a real treat; increase cheese to 6 cups, increase milk by adding 1/3 cup more; use only 1 tbl of Worcestershire sauce & 1 tea of dry mustard and baked covered the 1st 20 min. I know that is a lot of changes but it sure worked for our family and friends at a recent gathering.
Been eating it for years! Love my Grandmothers Home cooked MAC and Cheese
Zachary, Thank you so much for your service, and, Mrs. Beardsell: Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipe!
I LOVED this recipe! Made it exactly as written and it was delicious! I'm not a huge fan of some mac & cheese recipes because they are "too" cheesy. I thought that would be the case with this recipe but it was just perfect! And the Worcestershire gave it an extra something special. Perfect! Will definitely make this again! Oh, and my family loved it too! :-)