- 2-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 5 cups (20 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat. Stir in 3 cups cheese and Worcestershire sauce until cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni; stir into sauce. Transfer to a greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Top with remaining cheese; sprinkle with paprika. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Homey Mac & Cheese
"This recipe is simple and delicious, my crew wasn't crazy about the Worcestershire sauce, so the next time I made it I only used 1 Tbs. and added a few dashes of hot sauce and some ground mustard. I also made this in my cast iron, baked to golden perfection."
"Really good, the only thing I may change for the next time is either adding chili powder or a mix of cheeses for a little added flavor."
"Really like this one. I used my cast iron skillet and it was bubbly, cheesy deliciousness! I sprinkled Parmesan over the Cheddar on top, and skipped the paprika."
"Will try tonight, but just fyi 5 cups equals 40 oz. not 20 oz. as called for in the recipe"