Homey Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 5 cups (20 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat. Stir in 3 cups cheese and Worcestershire sauce until cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni; stir into sauce. Transfer to a greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Top with remaining cheese; sprinkle with paprika. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Homey Mac & Cheese
Sort By :
Been eating it for years! Love my Grandmothers Home cooked MAC and Cheese
Zachary, Thank you so much for your service, and, Mrs. Beardsell: Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipe!
I LOVED this recipe! Made it exactly as written and it was delicious! I'm not a huge fan of some mac & cheese recipes because they are "too" cheesy. I thought that would be the case with this recipe but it was just perfect! And the Worcestershire gave it an extra something special. Perfect! Will definitely make this again! Oh, and my family loved it too! :-)
My family really enjoys this mac and cheese recipe. We have only prepared it a couple of times, but that's enough to know it's good. I really like using my cast-iron skillet to bake this recipe. I sprinkle a fair amount of paprika on top to bake and use large spiral pasta. Next time, I believe we'll try incorporating a couple cloves of minced garlic. I also cover the skillet with foil when baking.
I tried this recipe and followed the directions word for word. This is not a good recipe and the use of the Worcestershire sauce was not a good addition. I have been looking for Mac n cheese recipe for a while and his is one of the worst. I am still looking.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Pasta >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >