Homey Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 5 cups (20 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat. Stir in 3 cups cheese and Worcestershire sauce until cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni; stir into sauce. Transfer to a greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Top with remaining cheese; sprinkle with paprika. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Homey Mac & Cheese
Sort By :
"This dish had no flavor whatsoever which surprised me being the Worcestershire sauce was added to the making of this dish. I followed the recipe to every exact specification, however, both my spouse and myself thought it was extremely bland. Still looking for that ultimate Mac N Cheese recipe."
"Thank you Alice and your wonderful Grandson Zachary for his service! I checked an old Cook Book of mine and there it was - 1942!! It always has been a great recipe for me and probably will be for years to come. Over the years, I have added a vast variety of different things from bacon to tomatoes to any cheese I happen to have on hand - and garlic or garlic powder, olives and even cream cheese mixed in! I've topped it with cracker crumbs, bread crumbs and potato chips. This is a 'Can't Miss Recipe'!! Enjoy - adapt - or whatever!!Kitzer"
"This is basically the same recipe that I have also used for years. I make my cheese sauce in the microwave, using 16 oz. of a sharp cheddar bar cheese cut up, and a 2 inch chunk of Velveeta to make a smoother sauce. I think the worcestershire sauce adds 'pop' to the sauce, making it not so bland. To make it even richer tasting, I will use half and half or whipping cream for part of the milk. Totally yum!!"
"I agree with others to make this a real treat; increase cheese to 6 cups, increase milk by adding 1/3 cup more; use only 1 tbl of Worcestershire sauce & 1 tea of dry mustard and baked covered the 1st 20 min. I know that is a lot of changes but it sure worked for our family and friends at a recent gathering."
"Been eating it for years! Love my Grandmothers Home cooked MAC and Cheese"