Chicken noodle soup brings back memories of childhood. This revamped version takes the chill off with a healthy twist. It's a favorite at my house, especially after working outside on a cool day. —Cynthia LaFourcade, Salmon, Idaho
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen home-style egg noodles
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour, basil and salt until blended; gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
Return to a boil; add noodles. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Stir in kale and chicken; cook, covered, 6-8 minutes longer or until kale and noodles are tender.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 6 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Homey Chicken Noodle Soup in Simple & Delicious October/November 2014
Reviews for Homey Chicken Noodle Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 19, 2015
"Excellent made it,ate it and shared it."
Reviewed Nov. 25, 2014
"This soup was fantastic. Made for some deer hunters and they really ate it all up."