Chicken noodle soup brings back memories of childhood. This revamped version takes the chill off with a healthy twist. It's a favorite at my house, especially after working outside on a cool day. —Cynthia LaFourcade, Salmon, Idaho
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen home-style egg noodles
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour, basil and salt until blended; gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Return to a boil; add noodles. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Stir in kale and chicken; cook, covered, 6-8 minutes longer or until kale and noodles are tender. Yield: 6 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Homey Chicken Noodle Soup in Simple & Delicious October/November 2014
Reviews for Homey Chicken Noodle Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 25, 2014
"This soup was fantastic. Made for some deer hunters and they really ate it all up."