Homestyle Baked Potato Soup Recipe
Judy Tyler of Bossier City, Louisiana writes, “This soup is irresistible…so much so that my husband once ate it for three days in a row.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 3 medium potatoes
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 to 1-1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (white portion only)
- Additional parsley, cheese, green onions and crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- 1. Scrub and pierce potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 8-12 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels.
- 3. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Stir in flour; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Gradually stir in broth. Add the parsley, garlic, basil, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Peel and cube potatoes; add to soup. Add bacon. Stir in cream; heat through (do not boil). Add cheese and green onions; stir just until cheese is melted. Garnish with additional parsley, cheese, onions and bacon if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup (calculated without optional toppings) equals 369 calories, 32 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 1,136 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC