Homestyle Baked Potato Soup Recipe
- 3 medium potatoes
- 8 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 to 1-1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (white portion only)
- Additional parsley, cheese, green onions and crumbled cooked Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon, optional
- 1. Scrub and pierce potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 8-12 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels.
- 3. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Stir in flour; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Gradually stir in broth. Add the parsley, garlic, basil, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Peel and cube potatoes; add to soup. Add bacon. Stir in cream; heat through (do not boil). Add cheese and green onions; stir just until cheese is melted. Garnish with additional parsley, cheese, onions and bacon if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 369 calories, 32g fat (17g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 1136mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Homestyle Baked Potato Soup
"This recipe has far too much sodium. I have to restrict my sodium--so I will not be able to make this recipe.This is a very good recipe--I wish that I could make this, but I can't."
"I think this is the orginal recipe. I think you have to look up "Makeover Baked Potato soup" to get the one in the magazine."
"This is not the same recipe that is on page 6 in the April/May 2008 issue. Again, I am finding VERY frustrating to find the recipes in the magazine online. Perhaps I need to navigate around the site more, but it was sooooooo easy before when I could just type in the name of the recipe in the search bar at the top and the recipe would show up."
"The recipe sounds delicious, but how can it be considered "healthy" when it has 32 grams of fat?"