Homemade Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
"I make this bread so often I have the recipe memorized. My kids love it for an after-school snack, but it’s great with soup, stew and more.” Nancy Brown - Dahinda, Illinois
- 1-1/8 teaspoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the brown sugar, butter, salt, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; shape into a loaf. Place in a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spay. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice equals 129 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 125 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC