Homemade Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
- 1-1/8 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the brown sugar, butter, salt, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; shape into a loaf. Place in a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spay. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice: 129 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Homemade Whole Wheat Bread
"I made three batches of this bread yesterday, it is awesome. Have tried others but the flavor is great. I gave most of it away. Everyone thought it was great. With one batch I ground up 2 teaspoons of Chia seeds and two teaspoons of Flax seeds, used that in place of the wheat flour. I made the rolls with that batch, I made 27 dinner rolls, I eat way to many but they were so good. My son and grandson wants me to teach them how to make bread, for sure this will be the one I show them. thanks for the recipe!"
"I always make and bake 4-6 loaves and freeze the extra."
"This is THE recipe I use. Everyone who I've given some to has asked for the recipe. I use extra wheat flour and have always used white bread flour."
"My whole family loves this bread! I have been making it every few days just so we have it on hand. I need to figure out how to make enough for two loaves; it's that good!"
"I like this recipe alot, very easy to make and very tasty. I will make this one again."
"This bread is wonderful and so easy to make!"
"This recipe calls for exactly one-half packet of yeast. I'd like to know how it doubles!"