- 1-1/8 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the brown sugar, butter, salt, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; shape into a loaf. Place in a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spay. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Homemade Whole Wheat Bread
"I made three batches of this bread yesterday, it is awesome. Have tried others but the flavor is great. I gave most of it away. Everyone thought it was great. With one batch I ground up 2 teaspoons of Chia seeds and two teaspoons of Flax seeds, used that in place of the wheat flour. I made the rolls with that batch, I made 27 dinner rolls, I eat way to many but they were so good. My son and grandson wants me to teach them how to make bread, for sure this will be the one I show them. thanks for the recipe!"
"This has just become my only bread recipe :). It's the perfect sandwich bread! Delicious and easy to make."
"I have found my new favorite breakfast food. This bread made into toast and spread with Nutella! Delicious!! I'll be making several loaves at a time and freezing them from now on!"
"I always make and bake 4-6 loaves and freeze the extra."
"This is THE recipe I use. Everyone who I've given some to has asked for the recipe. I use extra wheat flour and have always used white bread flour."
"My whole family loves this bread! I have been making it every few days just so we have it on hand. I need to figure out how to make enough for two loaves; it's that good!"
"I like this recipe alot, very easy to make and very tasty. I will make this one again."
"This bread is wonderful and so easy to make!"
"This recipe calls for exactly one-half packet of yeast. I'd like to know how it doubles!"