- 1-1/8 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the brown sugar, butter, salt, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; shape into a loaf. Place in a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spay. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Homemade Whole Wheat Bread
Sort By :
This has just become my only bread recipe :). It's the perfect sandwich bread! Delicious and easy to make.
I have found my new favorite breakfast food. This bread made into toast and spread with Nutella! Delicious!! I'll be making several loaves at a time and freezing them from now on!
I always make and bake 4-6 loaves and freeze the extra.
This is THE recipe I use. Everyone who I've given some to has asked for the recipe. I use extra wheat flour and have always used white bread flour.
My whole family loves this bread! I have been making it every few days just so we have it on hand. I need to figure out how to make enough for two loaves; it's that good!
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >