Homemade Turkey Soup Recipe
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 10- to 12-pound turkey)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Place the turkey carcass in a stockpot; add the water, onion, salt and bay leaves. Slowly bring to a boil over low heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove carcass; cool. Strain broth and skim fat. Discard onion and bay leaves. Return broth to the pan. Add the carrots, rice, celery and chopped onion; cover and simmer until rice and vegetables are tender.
- Remove turkey from bones; discard bones and cut turkey into bite-size pieces. Add turkey and cream soup to broth; heat through. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Homemade Turkey Soup
Sort By :
"This is delicious I didn't have any celery but I used a whole packet of Goya yellow rice instead of the white and it turned out perfect !"
"Oh My Gosh ...my 1st time ever making a turkey soup .followed directions and it came out so good .only problem I encountered was a way to separate the fat .lost a good clean pillow case but it was worth it . best tasteing turkey soup I ever had ( sorry mom )"
"We used up leftover turkey breast carcass from the Italian turkey breast slow cooker dinner. It turned out really great. I did used heart request cream of chicken and used long grain brown rice to try and make it it a little more heart healthy. It is very full of flavor and hearty. This is my husbands new favorite after turkey leftover meal."
"This had good flavor. I used chicken broth and water instead of messing with the turkey carcass, and it was too salty (and I left the added salt out). Next time I will use more water and less chicken broth."
"YUMMY!!! My family loved this soup! It is an excellent way to use your turkey leftovers!!!"