Homemade Tortillas Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Stir in water and oil. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10-12 times, adding a little flour or water if needed to achieve a smooth dough. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into eight portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7-in. circle.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook tortillas over medium heat for 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Keep warm. Yield: 8 tortillas.
Reviews for Homemade Tortillas(90)
Sort By :
I made them gluten free by substituting for the flour:
* 2 cups gluten-free all purpose baking flour (same amount as in recipe)
* 1 teaspoon xanthan gum.
They turned out great.
I made these for all my boys for Sunday football and they went crazy for them. Will be making them this Sunday again and doubling the recipe. They were amazing!!!
I have no fancy gadgets in my kitchen and am not a great cook, so I read most of the reviews prior to trying a new recipe. This one was no different. I ended up altering the recipe just slightly and they ended up fantastic! Even my "Mikey" that hates everything loves these. These were easy, fun and extremely inexpensive to make. I doubled the batch and made the following changes: replaced 1/4 cup of flour with 1/4 cup ground flax seed; used equal parts of olive oil and melted butter to make the 6 T needed; added an additional 1/2 tsp salt to the 1 full tsp needed for the double batch for more flavor; added 1 tsp of baking powder; and I made sure the water was boiling. These came out PERFECT! I just need to practice getting them to come out round. I will definitely use this recipe over and over!
Fast and easy! Yummy :)
I altered this recipe using 3 TB of rendered bacon grease that I had refrigerated so it as the consistency of lard. Also after the first 3 I omitted the cooking spray, turned out perfect!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bread Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Easy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Bread Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Vegetarian Recipes >
- Quick Bread Recipes >