Homemade Tortillas Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Stir in water and oil. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10-12 times, adding a little flour or water if needed to achieve a smooth dough. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into eight portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7-in. circle.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook tortillas over medium heat for 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Keep warm. Yield: 8 tortillas.
Reviews for Homemade Tortillas(99)
Sort By :
OK, found this recipe and reviews due to a snowstorm which kept us from going out for dinner. Decided to make fajitas but didn't have tortillas. After reading most of the reviews I decided to make some changes to the basic recipe by adding baking soda and using very hot water. One other little trick was used also. Water and flour molecules form gluten which is good for bread but not good for other dough which can become tough and hard to roll out. To prevent the molecules from going crazy add 1/8 teaspoon of vinegar to the mix. Dough stays soft and pliable and doesn't "bounce back" when rolled. Great trick for pizza dough!
Will never buy tortillas from the store again!
Great recipe! I just made them today (8 wraps) and tried to grill 1 to see how is it. And guess what? I love the taste. I am going to save this recipe. Keep it up!
Thank you for posting a really great recipe. They came out tender and yummy!
Can you use gluten-free flour for these?
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bread Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Easy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Bread Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Vegetarian Recipes >
- Quick Bread Recipes >