Homemade Tomato Dill Soup
My family really enjoys this soup when we make it from our garden tomatoes. When those tomatoes are plentiful, I make a big batch and freeze it. Then we can enjoy it even after the garden is gone for the season.
5 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 pounds tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Add garlic;
- cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes, water, bouillon, sugar and
- seasonings. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until tomatoes are
- tender. Remove from heat; cool.
- Place in a blender; cover and puree. Return to saucepan. If creamy
- soup is desired, stir in mayonnaise. Cook and stir over low heat
- until heated through. Serve warm. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 108 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 285 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.