Homemade Strawberry Shortcake
It seems I can never get enough of Grandma's shortcake! This recipe is special to me and it's the first thing I bake when my strawberries ripen in spring.
9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 pints strawberries, sliced
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cream of
- tartar. Cut in butter until mixture is the size of peas. Add the egg
- and milk; mix well. Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Cut into squares and top with
- strawberries and whipped cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with margarine and fat-free milk and served without whipped cream) equals 217 calories, 11 g fat (0 saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 436 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-3/4 starch.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.