Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
What could be better than a tubful of luscious, homemade ice cream made with fresh strawberries? Having an ice cream social at church with more of the same!
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + cooling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups crushed fresh strawberries, sweetened
- Place egg yolks and milk in the top of a double boiler; beat. Add
- sugar and salt. Cook over simmering water, stirring until mixture is
- thickened and coats a metal spoon. Cool.
- Add the vanilla, cream and strawberries. Pour into the cylinder of an
- ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze
- for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: about 1-1/2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 265 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 166 mg cholesterol, 88 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.