Homemade Strawberry Dessert Topping
From Roanoke, Illinois, Evelyn Kennell sends this colorful berry topping that's simply ideal draped over angel food cake or low-fat frozen yogurt.
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 pint fresh strawberries or 2 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mash strawberries; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar,
- cornstarch and water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir
- for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in strawberries; remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice.
- Transfer to a small bowl. Refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup equals 70 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 fruit.