Homemade Steak Sauce Recipe
"I think this steak sauce tastes better than the commercial brands," writes Judy Neil of Royal Oak, Michigan. Her creative condiment features everything from tomato paste and raisins to grapefruit juice, honey, garlic and soy sauce.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:20 servings
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ruby red grapefruit juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely crushed pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a nonstick saucepan over medium heat, cook onion in oil until tender. Add honey; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in broth, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, grapefruit juice, tomato paste and vinegars until blended. Stir in the raisins, garlic powder, pepper, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until sauce is reduced to about 1-1/4 cups. Cool to room temperature. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
One tablespoon equals 27 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC