Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups water, divided
- 3 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups hot cooked spaghetti
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the celery, onion, green pepper and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender and water is reduced.
- 2. Crumble sausage over vegetable mixture; cook until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, garlic, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt, pepper and remaining water.
- 3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with spaghetti. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 cup: 230 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 645mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 12g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1 lean meat, 2 vegetable
Reviews for Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
"Very, very tasty. Makes a lot. Wondering if I am able to can it."
"This sauce is delicious and makes a ton; I divide it and freeze half. I use spicy Italian turkey sausage, which makes it very flavorful, plus I add sliced mushrooms. Yum!"
"Best spaghetti sauce I have ever tasted made with turkey"
"LOVE this recipe! I tweaked it a bit with added seasonings and with the tomato sauce I use 2 - 28 oz crushed tomatoes instead of the diced......love it in lasagna!"
"This sauce is delicious! Absolutely worth making."
"This sauce is okay; it lacked in flavor somewhat. I did leave out the celery because my boyfriend hates it."