Homemade Soft Pretzels Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- Coarse salt, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt, butter and egg. Stir in 3 cups of flour; mix until smooth. Add enough additional flour to make a stiff dough. Cover bowl tightly with foil; refrigerate for 2-24 hours.
- 2. Punch dough down and divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, cut each half into 16 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 20-in. rope. Shape into the traditional pretzel shape and place on a greased baking sheet.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine egg yolk and water; brush over the pretzels. Sprinkle with salt if desired. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until brown. Yield: 32 pretzels.
1 each: 122 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein .
Reviews for Homemade Soft Pretzels
"It does not taste like Pretzels at all... but it is very good bread!"
"Didn't turn out right."