Homemade Soft Pretzels Recipe
Now that I'm home full-time, I like to make all kinds of breads for meals, family gatherings and just for fun with my daughters, Lindsay and Mariah. Both girls love to help when it comes to making bread, especially kneading the dough. This is one of their favorite recipes.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 50 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. YIELD:32 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- Coarse salt, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt, butter and egg. Stir in 3 cups of flour; mix until smooth. Add enough additional flour to make a stiff dough. Cover bowl tightly with foil; refrigerate for 2-24 hours.
- 2. Punch dough down and divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, cut each half into 16 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 20-in. rope. Shape into the traditional pretzel shape and place on a greased baking sheet.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine egg yolk and water; brush over the pretzels. Sprinkle with salt if desired. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until brown. Yield: 32 pretzels.
1 serving (1 each) equals 122 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 165 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC