- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- Coarse salt, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt, butter and egg. Stir in 3 cups of flour; mix until smooth. Add enough additional flour to make a stiff dough. Cover bowl tightly with foil; refrigerate for 2-24 hours.
- Punch dough down and divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, cut each half into 16 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 20-in. rope. Shape into the traditional pretzel shape and place on a greased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolk and water; brush over the pretzels. Sprinkle with salt if desired. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until brown. Yield: 32 pretzels.
Reviews for Homemade Soft Pretzels
"It does not taste like Pretzels at all... but it is very good bread!"
"Didn't turn out right."
"This recipe didn't produce anything that tasted remotely like pretzels. To us, they tasted more like dinner rolls. As far as dinner rolls go, I'd give them 5 stars."