You'll be snowed under with offers from kids wanting to help you put together these cute snow globes. Just make sure they don't nibble up all the ingredients before they're decorated! Together, the globes would make a fun centerpiece...or use individually for creative place cards. —Georgia Kohart, Oakwood, Ohio
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 sugar cookies (about 3-1/2 inches)
- Assorted decorations: miniature marshmallows, orange and brown jimmies, Fruit Roll-Ups, spearmint leaves, peppermint candies, edible glitter and holiday sprinkles
- 3 clear plastic ornaments (3 inches)
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water, meringue powder and cream of tartar; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Cover frosting with a damp cloth between uses. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.
- Working with one cookie at a time, spread 2 tablespoons frosting over the top of cookie.
- For snowman, cut two miniature marshmallows in half. Attach three halves with a small amount of frosting. Decorate face with jimmies. For scarf, trim a thin 1-1/2-in. strip from a Fruit Roll-Up. Shape a toboggan from a strip of Fruit Roll-Up; attach toboggan to cookie. Attach snowman to toboggan. Add spearmint leaves for trees.
- With a dab of frosting, attach four peppermint candies to the bottom of each cookie. Let stand overnight to dry completely.
- To assemble, separate ornaments into halves. Working with one cookie at a time, spread edge of ornament half with frosting. Place 1 teaspoon edible glitter and 1 teaspoon holiday sprinkles inside ornament; carefully invert decorated cookie onto ornament half, sealing edges. Use frosting and a star tip to pipe a decorative edge around globe. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 6 snow globes.
Originally published as Homemade Snow Globes in Country Woman December/January 2008, p54
Reviews for Homemade Snow Globes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review