Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Italian seasoning, onion powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Serve about 1/2 cup meat mixture on each bun. Or cool and freeze in freezer containers for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen sloppy joes: Thaw in the refrigerator; place in a saucepan and heat though. Serve on buns. Yield: 12 servings (about 6 cups).
Reviews for Homemade Sloppy Joes(18)
Sort By :
This is really good I followed the recipe to the T and everyone loved it. I used Sweet and Spicy Chipotle BBQ sauce and it hit home with the kids and hubby.
This is hands-down the best sloppy joes recipe I have found. The BBQ sauce really makes it taste great! I have made it at least twice a month since I found it in October 2012.
just my husband and I ,and we ENJOYthis type of cooking on the weekends,very good,i JUST PUT IN A LOT LESS SUGAR
We are used to a little more savory/tomato based sloppy joe. This was a little sweeter than we are used to and the cider vinegar was too strong. I'd try it again but use some diced tomatoes and cut way back on the vinegar. The seasonings were good and in general a good consistency after simmering for a while.