- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Italian seasoning, onion powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Serve about 1/2 cup meat mixture on each bun. Or cool and freeze in freezer containers for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen sloppy joes: Thaw in the refrigerator; place in a saucepan and heat though. Serve on buns. Yield: 12 servings (about 6 cups).
Reviews for Homemade Sloppy Joes
"A favorite family stand by for years!"
"When I was growing up I hated sloppy joes, too dang "tomatoee"! This is the only one I will make because of that. I agree with mamaknowsbest. If you have a favorite BBQ sauce that's what makes the difference to me since I like the more smokey flavor. You can always adjust the vinegar and sugar flavor up and down to suit tastes."
"I had been looking for a sloppy joe recipe that would taste like what I grew up eating. This is it!!! Everyone has loved this recipe. The taste can vary depending on the BBQ sauce you choose. We used our family favorite so we knew were starting out with a taste profile we liked. The ability to change the BBQ sauce allows for wide and fun variations of this classic recipe. Also good to note, that it freezers very well."
"This recipe turned out delicious and is definitely going on my "make again" list! I made half the recipe and it was perfect for two hungry adults with some leftover. But I did not have enough ketchup on hand so I substituted 8 oz. tomato sauce. The flavor was great--I didn't miss the ketchup at all--and that was the only substitution I made."
"This is really good I followed the recipe to the T and everyone loved it. I used Sweet and Spicy Chipotle BBQ sauce and it hit home with the kids and hubby."
"just my husband and I ,and we ENJOYthis type of cooking on the weekends,very good,i JUST PUT IN A LOT LESS SUGAR"
"We are used to a little more savory/tomato based sloppy joe. This was a little sweeter than we are used to and the cider vinegar was too strong. I'd try it again but use some diced tomatoes and cut way back on the vinegar. The seasonings were good and in general a good consistency after simmering for a while."
"This is delicious. I made it for a large group of friends and it was all gone! Definitely a keeper!"
"I made this for a party and all my friends loved it! I've never really liked sloppy joes, but this is delicious! I had an empty crock pot,they ate it all!"
"My family really enjoyed this recipe. I used 1 1/2 lb.beef & 1 1/2 lb. deer meat -very good. definitly a keeper. Thank you Sandra"