- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Italian seasoning, onion powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Serve about 1/2 cup meat mixture on each bun. Or cool and freeze in freezer containers for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen sloppy joes: Thaw in the refrigerator; place in a saucepan and heat though. Serve on buns. Yield: 12 servings (about 6 cups).
Reviews for Homemade Sloppy Joes
Sort By :
"I had been looking for a sloppy joe recipe that would taste like what I grew up eating. This is it!!! Everyone has loved this recipe. The taste can vary depending on the BBQ sauce you choose. We used our family favorite so we knew were starting out with a taste profile we liked. The ability to change the BBQ sauce allows for wide and fun variations of this classic recipe. Also good to note, that it freezers very well."
"This recipe turned out delicious and is definitely going on my "make again" list! I made half the recipe and it was perfect for two hungry adults with some leftover. But I did not have enough ketchup on hand so I substituted 8 oz. tomato sauce. The flavor was great--I didn't miss the ketchup at all--and that was the only substitution I made."
"This is really good I followed the recipe to the T and everyone loved it. I used Sweet and Spicy Chipotle BBQ sauce and it hit home with the kids and hubby."
"This is hands-down the best sloppy joes recipe I have found. The BBQ sauce really makes it taste great! I have made it at least twice a month since I found it in October 2012."
"just my husband and I ,and we ENJOYthis type of cooking on the weekends,very good,i JUST PUT IN A LOT LESS SUGAR"