Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe
In Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, Sandra Castillo simmers up a big batch of this tangy sandwich filling, then freezes the extras. "Just thaw and reheat it for a quick dinner. It's also good for larger gatherings," she writes.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hamburger buns, split
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Italian seasoning, onion powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- 2. Serve about 1/2 cup meat mixture on each bun. Or cool and freeze in freezer containers for up to 3 months.
- 3. To use frozen sloppy joes: Thaw in the refrigerator; place in a saucepan and heat though. Serve on buns. Yield: 12 servings (about 6 cups).
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC