Homemade Shrimp Creole
W. Florence Johns gives a mild Creole flavor to convenient cooked shrimp in this skillet supper that has been part of her recipe collection for years. "It's quick and very good," promises the Houston, Texas cook.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound cooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, green pepper, celery and garlic
- in oil for 6 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce, chili powder, sugar
- and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10
- minutes. Add shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink. Serve
- with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup (calculated without rice) equals 220 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 221 mg cholesterol, 791 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a