Homemade Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2-1/4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and butter. Spread into a greased 9-in. round baking pan. Layer with rhubarb; sprinkle with sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into creamed mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Gently spoon over rhubarb (pan will be full, about 1/4 in. from the top of pan).
- Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Homemade Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
Sort By :
"One of my families favorite desserts! Whenever I take it to a gathering, I am always asked for the recipe."
"I made this for Memorial Day weekend. My friends said it is definately a "keeper""
"Excellent, caramelized rhubarb on top is wonderful:) outstanding with a cup of good quality coffee/ espresso"
"Did not think the topping would be so carmalized/crunchy...I was not a fan but my family loved it. -good topping if you have a sweet tooth"