Homemade Refried Beans Recipe
From Auburn, Kansas, Myra Innes shares these special refried beans that are full of homemade flair. And because the recipe makes a big batch, you can sprinkle some with cheese to serve as a Southwestern side dish and use the rest in the two dinners that follow.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons oil until crisp-tender. Place 2 tablespoons oil in a blender; add half of the onion mixture, and half of the beans, cumin, salt, coriander, pepper, hot pepper sauce and cheese. Cover and process until smooth. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- 2. Transfer to a large skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until heated through. Leftover refried beans may be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 7 cups.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 134 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 296 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC