Homemade Refried Beans Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons oil until crisp-tender. Place 2 tablespoons oil in a blender; add half of the onion mixture, and half of the beans, cumin, salt, coriander, pepper, hot pepper sauce and cheese. Cover and process until smooth. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Transfer to a large skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until heated through. Leftover refried beans may be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 7 cups.
Reviews for Homemade Refried Beans(3)
Sort By :
I don't know what I'm missing about this recipe. First of all, our blender would NOT grind up this mixture. I did half the batch at a time like the recipe says and it was like trying to blend concrete. Then we tried the food processor and had the same problem. We finally went after them with the stick blender!
They were beyond dry! You have to have some sort of liquid in there. I'm actually wondering if there's a typo in this recipe. We added more olive oil, and eventually chicken broth, to try to get them loose enough to even stir. The flavor was great - I don't any complaints about the seasoning -- they were petrified within about 10 minutes of pulling them off the stove. I'm wondering if maybe leaving the liquid from one or two cans of the beans would help. ???
I'm sorry but I love refried beans, and this was blah. The Cumin spice was way too much. I would not recommend this dish!
Unfortunatley, The amount of corriander is way off. They were too sweet, and hard to blend. I would not recommend this recipe