Homemade Red Velvet Cake Recipe
Hope Meece of Ambia, Indiana took a cherished family recipe, downsized it for a pair, and came up with this cute rendition of a luscious old classic.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon red liquid food coloring
- 3/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the sour cream, egg, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- 2. Pour into three 5-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 14-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a small saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cover; cool to room temperature.
- 4. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in vanilla and milk mixture until fluffy. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece: 378 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 374mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Homemade Red Velvet Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC