Homemade Ragu Bolognese Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/4 pound bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin, nutmeg and pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked pasta
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, pork, bacon, onions, celery and carrots over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Add wine; cook for 4-5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, bay leaves, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Discard bay leaves. Add the cream, butter and parsley; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in cheese. Serve with pasta. Yield: 10 servings (7-1/2 cups).
3/4 cup (calculated without pasta and additional cheese) equals 309 calories, 18 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 746 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.