VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter
- 1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup rye flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the molasses, butter, chocolate, vinegar, salt, rye flour and 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into a round loaf. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. With a sharp knife, make three shallow slashes across the top of loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 mini loaf (4 slices).
Originally published as Pumpernickel Bread in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p7