These pretzels are crisp on the outside and chewy inside. They rival many of the hot pretzels found in stores.—Suzanne McKinley, Lyons, Georgia
20 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Coarse salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add flour and salt;
- stir to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 4-5
- times. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Punch dough down and divide into 20 equal pieces. On a lightly
- floured surface, roll each piece into a 15-in. long strip; twist
- into a pretzel shape. Combine baking soda and cold water; brush over
- pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 450° for 15-20 minutes or
- until golden brown. Yield: 20 pretzels.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 103 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 311 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.