Homemade Pretzels Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Coarse salt
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add flour and salt; stir to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 4-5 times. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- 2. Punch dough down and divide into 20 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a 15-in. long strip; twist into a pretzel shape. Combine baking soda and cold water; brush over pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- 3. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 450° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 20 pretzels.
1 each: 103 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 311mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Pretzels
"This a a great recipe for small children. I made them with my 3 year old class to "sell" at their "bakery". They couldn't roll them 15" long, so they were pretty fat, but they baked just fine."